Monday, August 27, 2012

Show and Tell Monday; Wedding Bells Ringing


Today I am linking up with Becky at From Mrs to Mama to share wedding details..you should too!!


1. Are you married? If so when did you get married, and tell us about your special day. If not? How would you describe your dream wedding? 

VERY Happily married to the man of my dreams. We got married 4 years ago on, August 8th 2008 so 08.08.08 :) It was a beautiful and perfect day to say the least. Not one thing went wrong and even if it did, either way, I was still getting married so I didn't care. I dreamed about being a YOUNG bride my whole life. It's all I ever wanted was to be a wife and mom. Stephen and I got married 8 months after we got together. We got married on a nice summer evening. It meant a lot to my husband to get married in the church he was raised in(and we attend) even if it had orange carpet. It was special to us and we are both super traditional and liked getting married in a church or should I say OUR church. We didn't get married till 7pm and that's what I wanted because I wanted to enjoy being a "BRIDE" all day and get pampered. But the anticipation and not seeing my groom all day was difficult. But it was all worth it when I got to see him at the end of the aisle and our eyes were glued to one another's. We had a short ceremony centered around our love for one another but ultimately God's design for marriage and family. We then went to a reception hall in a limo and had a dessert reception and of course dancing. It was my dream wedding!

Details: 
6 Bridesmaids 6 Groomsmen
Stephen's Uncle(our pastor) officiated the wedding
All our nieces and nephews were apart of the wedding
Colors: Zebra print and pink
We had black sand and white sand and mixed them together during the unity candle to symbolize us becoming ONE.
About 215 people came



2. Show us some wedding pictures. Either yours or of some that you love.








3. How about the engagement? Tell us your story. If not engaged, what's your dream proposal?

Well, it wasn't anything crazy or over the top amazing but like Becky said, it was perfect for us and it was our personalities to the T! Like I said, we are traditional and I'm completely happy about that. I have known Stephen since I was 11 but he is 5 years older than me. It wasn't till I was 18 that we reunited and FELL IN LOVE. We met in November and got engaged on Valentine's Day. We knew we wanted to get married within the first week of talking so I was expecting a ring "any day" per say. There were several opportunities where I thought maybe it would happen cause we looked at rings etc. I remember him telling me a week before Valentine's Day "How silly it is when people get engaged on a holiday, ecspecially Valentine's." so I definitely knew it wouldn't be that day. He originally was going to take me to Yosemite Feb. 15th and do it there but after he asked my dad's permission for my hand in marriage when they went to lunch that day, he couldn't wait. 

I  made him a pasta dinner at my parents house. We had barely taken a bite when he said "Open your card" and I thought hmmm...ok!! Then he went in(which he said he was "heating the bread up") to tell my dad he was going to do it now so have the video camera ready. He came back in and I could tell he was so nervous. Which he's usually not, he's a preacher and so used to talking in front of people etc. But inside the card was a voucher for a day in Santa Cruz and a nice dinner. I was actually kinda bummed but played it off like it was the best gift ever. I really thought he was going to propose. He stood up and said "Give me a hug" so I did and he pulled me back up cause I was going to sit back down...He then proceeded to tell me beautiful sweet things that women love to hear then he got on his knee and said "Will you will marry me"...of course, I blurted YES!!!!!!!!!!!! And it was all caught on camera...I just remember I kept saying Oh my gosh! I was the happiest girl in the world...amazing to think I love him even more now than I did then!


4. Show us your wedding rings or an engagement photo! If not engaged/married ... show us your "dream" ring.




5. Tell us why you think marriage doesn't work out for so many? What can we do to make things last?

When I made that vow, for better or worse, richer or poor, sickness and health, I made a promise and a covenant not only to my husband BUT most importantly God. I think some are so soon to just give up and throw in the towel. I know there are circumstances where your life(or children) may be in danger or adultery happens etc. but even then, we should TRY our darn best to work it out. Marriage isn't easy. Yes, there are good times but there are also plenty of tough times. Learning to fully put yourself on the back burner and putting someone else's needs above your own. Sometimes you have to do things for your other half just because you know they will enjoy it. Marriage and parenthood is a SELFLESS act. I think the best marriage consists of the other spouse thinking they got the better end of the deal. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in our children that we forget to "date each other" and that shouldn't happen. Even if its sitting on the couch, watching a movie, eating popcorn, make it a date :) Don't be annoyed when the other wants to talk about something that doesn't interest you. Communication is key. But HONESTY is number one. Send random "I love you texts" each day. Never forget to tell your spouse you appreciate them. Say I'm sorry first even when it's tough. Most importantly, pray TOGETHER and for one another. Make God the center of your marriage and everything will fall beautifully around it. But it will take work!!!! Remember that. Don't give up. You will and can fall back in love.

So what can we do to make marriage work? Respect. HONESTY. Not being selfish. Being proud of one another. Loving unconditionally. BEING FORGIVING. Fessing up when you do wrong. Putting the other first. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Knowing each other's love language. and understanding God's design for marriage. 


3 comments:

  1. I love this, Jess!! Love all the wedding photos and your advice at the end, spot on, and you live that out daily, and I can see it! Thank you for being an example of a Godly wife and mother, even at such a young age!! Love you!

    Annalisa

    www.lungfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Mrs. Lung ;) your my dear friend and I loved your wedding day post as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess! Your wedding was so beautiful!! I think its so funny how I went to your wedding and I didn't even know you guys! I loved how in your wedding programs you had The Kiss in big bold letters. So you!!

    ReplyDelete